MINISTRY OF LOCAL GOVERNMENT
The Ministry of Local Government is responsible for local government matters in Mauritius. Its main functions include overseeing the local authorities and formulating appropriate policies and legislative framework to ensure that local authorities operate smoothly. The Ministry of Local Government also has under its aegis the Mauritius Fire and Rescue Service which aims at making Mauritius a safe place by minimizing the risks of loss of life, property and environmental damage through enforcement of fire legislations, education and rescue services.
Functions & Responsibilities
· We provide the legal framework to empower the Local Authorities to deliver their services efficiently and effectively.
· We make such regulations for the smooth implementation of the Local Government Act.
· We provide general policy guidance to Local Authorities in respect of Local Government matters and other central Government objectives.
· We process requests and issue clearances/authorization to Local Authorities in respect of finance and establishment matters.
· We attend to queries and complaints from the public and other stakeholders in respect of local government matters.
· We process requests for approval of the Minister in line with the provisions of the Local Government Act.
Field Services Unit
We execute minor upgrading works across the island, including landscaping, provision of amenities in public places, etc.
The Mauritius Fire and Rescue Service is a Department of the Ministry, which has as main functions:
· The protection of life and property against destruction by fire.
· The provision of adequate support in rescue operations during natural calamities and major accidents.
· The issue of Fire Certificates and clearances.
· The organization of education, information and awareness programmes to the public on fire safety and rescue operations.