MINISTRY OF LOCAL GOVERNMENT, DISASTER AND RISK REDUCTION
The Ministry of Local Government, Disaster and Risk Management is responsible for local government matters in
Mauritius as well as to coordinate the formulation and implementation of disaster risk reduction policies, strategic
frameworks and plans.
The Ministry has under its purview the Local Authorities, the Mauritius Fire and Rescue Service, the Field Services Unit,
and the National Disaster Risk Reduction Management Centre.
Functions & Responsibilities
We provide the legal framework to empower the Local Authorities to deliver their services efficiently and effectively.
· We make such regulations for the smooth implementation of the Local Government Act.
· We provide general policy guidance to Local Authorities in respect of Local Government matters and other Central Government objectives.
· We process requests and issue clearances/authorization to Local Authorities in respect of finance and establishment matters.
· We attend to queries and complaints from the public and other stakeholders in respect of local government matters.
· We process requests for approval of the Minister in line with the provisions of the Local Government Act and the Dumping and Waste Carriers Regulations 2003.
Waste Carriers Unit
· Waste Carrier’s Licenses are delivered by the Enforcement Unit of the Ministry, after examination of vehicles by Enforcement Officers of the Ministry on either Mondays or Thursdays, upon appointment.
· No vehicle is authorised to transport waste unless it holds a valid licence under the Local Government (Dumping and Waste Carriers) Regulations 2003.
Field Services Unit
· The Field Services Unit provides assistance and support for minor works/landscaping and the cleaning of motorway.
Mauritius Fire and Rescue Services
The Mauritius Fire and Rescue Service (MFRS) has been set up under the Mauritius Fire and Rescue Act 2013.
It is entrusted with the role to take all necessary steps for the prevention and suppression of fires and the
protection of life, property and the environment in case of an emergency.
The functions of the MFRS are:
· To prevent, fight, control and extinguish fires.
· To Protect persons, animals, environment and property against the effect of fire and any other emergency such as flood, cyclone, landslide and others.
· To Advise and train the public on measures in fire safety and other emergencies.
The MFRS cooperates closely with other stakeholders such as the Police, NDRRMC, Airport, Port and CWA in disaster
prevention and management.
National Disaster Risk Reduction Management Centre
The National Disaster Risk Reduction Management Centre (NDRRMC) acts as the technical arm of the Ministry for the
planning, organizing, coordinating and monitoring of disaster risk reduction and management activities at all levels.
The NDRRMC is the primary coordinating agency for national disaster management activities in the Republic of Mauritius,
and takes a pro-active all-hazard, multi-agency approach to risk management that emphasizes building capacity at all
levels from the individual to the institutional.