Functions & Responsibilities
· We provide the legal framework to empower the Local Authorities to deliver their services efficiently and effectively.
· We make such regulations for the smooth implementation of the Local Government Act.
· We provide general policy guidance to Local Authorities in respect of Local Government matters and other Central Government objectives.
· We process requests and issue clearances/authorization to Local Authorities in respect of finance and establishment matters.
· We attend to queries and complaints from the public and other stakeholders in respect of local government matters.
· We process requests for approval of the Minister in line with the provisions of the Local Government Act and the Dumping and Waste Carriers Regulations 2003.
Waste Carriers Unit (JAICA)
· Waste Carrier’s Licenses are delivered by the Enforcement Unit of the Ministry, after examination of vehicles by Enforcement Officers of the Ministry on either Mondays or Thursdays, upon appointment.
· No vehicle is authorised to transport waste unless it holds a valid licence under the Local Government (Dumping and Waste Carriers) Regulations 2003.
Field Services Unit
· The Field Services Unit provides assistance and support for minor works/landscaping and the cleaning of motorway.